Pages

Tuesday 9 September 2014

'TREE WATCHER''S POST FOR SEPTEMBER - TREE FOLLOWING


Browning leaves


I am a bit late for my September report as I was up on Victoria, BC for a few days. Changes are starting to show with the browning of some of the leaves. The grass is beginning to have some scattered leaves on the ground from the tree while other leaves are still a healthy green.


Browning leaves in a group


I noticed that some of the leaves that are turning seem to be in groups.



Magnolia flower bud ready for next year



There are a number of green buds present which will become pink flowers in the spring.

Meanwhile, when I was up in Victoria, BC I saw some really interesting trees.








This one was very strange looking and I'm not sure what it was. It had cedar like needles but appeared in a "weeping" pattern. It was really lovely.







Bark peeling from trunk




Especially cool were the beautiful Madrona trees there. The peeling bark gave such an artistic texture to them!



Initials carved in pink and green trunk where bark is missing



Some of them were victims to having initials carved into their trunks over time.

I suspect that the "carvers" must have peeled a lot of bark off themselves in order to do this. It is a rather sad sight.









They were still beautiful when looking up at their towering heights, looking very majestic against the blue sky of Victoria!







I know, I am rambling by digressing a bit, but it is nice to acknowledge the beauty of other trees during the wait for the chosen tree to progress to the next stage. I am sure there will be more changes to my Magnolia tree for October. With the days becoming shorter and the nights colder, preparations for winter set in.

2 comments: